· Introduction to Computational Physics. The advent of modern computers. Introduction to programming and techniques for visualizing data.
· Environmental impact from the production and use of energy. Renewable energy sources and technologies. Computational Applications of Renewable Energy.
· Calculation of the wind potential of a region. Analysis of Wind Resource using the Weibull distribution. Analysis of wind energy potential using the Weibull distribution. Calculation of wind potential using numerical models.
· Calculation of solar energy in an area. Models for calculating the solar radiation. Solar radiation databases.
· Random systems and stochastic processes: random walks and diffusion, formation of aggregates, the Monte Carlo method. The Metropolis algorithm.
· Quantum systems: the time dependent and independent equation of Schrödinger.
· Computational methods on equation of motion. Principles and use on the method of Molecular Dynamics. Effect of physical properties of the materials (e.g. temperature, pressure) in atomistic calculations. Effect of stress, and deformation.
· Interatomic potentials. Interatomic potentials in connection with the various types of atomic bonds. Interatomic potentials for metals. Potentials for semiconductor compounds. Interatomic potentials for molecules. Interatomic potentials for ionic crystals.