The lesson ‘English for Physics’ is offered as an option both in the 5thand 6th semesters respectively in the department of Physics. The course focuses on vocabulary acquisition through current authentic material on physics subjects from various scientific fields extracting the desirable information from articles, scientific magazines, books, journals and internet. Besides, students are given practice to specific reading & writing techniques which enable them to better handle various textual analyses. Guidance is offered on:
- the structure of a scientific paper,
- the standard format of scientific research with information on the procedure followed on how to write such papers
- development of practical reading skills &
- project work and assignments submitted at the end of the semester, too.
Class interaction is of primary concern as various scientific topics are introduced and proposed for discussion and dialogue. The course gives students the opportunity to refresh background knowledge and express their point of view and ideas, be involved in issues that interest them and are relevant to their specialty, too.
To the student:
The course is designed with the aim to prepare you for the individual study you will need to do in your subject area where most source material is in English.
Specific aim of the course is to develop your ability to handle various language operations and the ability to read and understand authentic material. This is attained by
- Providing examples of authentic texts
- Practicing a wide range of reading and writing skills
- Enhancing the comprehension of scientific vocabulary
You are strongly advised to attend class regularly in order to do well in the end-of-semester exam.
Maria I. Mattheou (email@example.com)